Oklahomans To Vote In Primary Elections For State, Congressional Races


Tuesday, June 30th 2020, 6:24 am
By: Ashley Holden


June 30, 2019 is primary election day in Oklahoma. 

Winners will either go to a runoff, if the vote is close, or move on the become the candidate for the final vote in November.

Republicans will vote for their party's candidates, same with Democrats. Independents will be able to cast ballots for the Democrats only.  

A lot of people will be watching the race for the U.S. Representative for District 5. Currently the seat is held by Democrat Kendra Horn. She is facing off with just one other candidate, Tom Guild. There are 9 Republican names that will appear on the ballot, including Terry Neese and Stephanie Bice. 

Also in District 88, incumbent Democrat Jason Dunnington will try to defend his seat from Mauree Turner. 

A big race for Oklahoma County, especially as the jail transitions to be being run by the new trust, is the election for Oklahoma County Sheriff. Two Democrat candidates, Virgil Green Sr. and Wayland Cubit will be on the ballot. Republican incumbent P.D. Taylor is hoping to beat out candidates Tommie Johnson III and Mike McCully.

Voters will also cast their ballot and make a decision on SQ 802 during Tuesday's election. 200,000 Oklahomans could become eligible for Medicaid under the state question. Supporters say this is money we are leaving behind but can bring back to Oklahoma to help. They also say SQ 802 would help save rural hospitals and boost the state's economy. Opponents say this would not help the people who genuinely need the benefits. 

If passed, the federal government would pay 90% of the Medicaid expansion cost, with the state picking up the remaining 10%. The state Legislature would also have to decide how to fund it.

Polls open are open from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. 

Tune into News 9 for full coverage of the primary results starting at 7:30 p.m.