EMSA Issues First Heat Alert Of 2020
Monday, June 8th 2020, 9:23 am
By: News 9
The first heat alert of 2020 has been issued, Emergency Medical Services Authority paramedics said.
Paramedics in Oklahoma City have responded to six heat-related emergency calls on Sunday.
EMSA issues a heat alert when paramedics respond to more than five heat-related illness calls in a 24-hour period.
Paramedics recommend people always have a cellphone with you to call 911 if needed. Plan the amount of time you'll be outdoors and take appropriate amounts of water or other fluids with you.
Tips for staying healthy in the heat:
- PRE-HYDRATION is key in preventing heat-related illness. Drink plenty of water or electrolyte replacement drinks several hours prior to and during long exposure to the summer heat.
- Wear light-colored, loose-fitting clothing and a wide brimmed hat if working outdoors and take plenty of shade breaks.
- No alcohol or caffeine.
- If you do not have air conditioning, find a cooling station or public space (such as libraries or malls) during the day.
- Don’t limit your air conditioning.
- Use the buddy system if working outdoors and check on elderly neighbors.
- Keep a cell phone on you at all times when outdoors, including walking, running daily errands, yard work or sports and physical activity.