Truly Southern Shrimp & Grits
Monday, May 25th 2020, 3:35 pm
By: News 9
Truly Southern Shrimp and Grits
Creamy Cheesy Garlic Grits
- 1 cup instant grits
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups half and half
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup Gouda cheese, grated
- 1 cup Swiss cheese, grated
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
- Fresh cracked pepper
- Bring the chicken stock, half and half and garlic powder to a boil.
- Stir in the instant grits and continue boiling for 2-3 minutes and then reduce heat to a simmer.
- Stir till the grits thicken.
- Add cheese and stir till smooth.
- Add freshly cracked pepper to taste.
- 4 slices bacon, diced (save bacon grease)
- 1/2 sweet yellow onion, diced
- 2 pounds shrimp, deveined/peeled
- 1 tablespoon Old Bay seasoning
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 1/2 cups half and half
- 1/2 cup dry white wine (I used Pinot Grigio)
- 2 green onions, chopped
To make the sauce:
- Cook the bacon till crisp in a large sauce pan.
- Remove the bacon and drain on a paper towel.
- Sprinkle the shrimp in a medium bowl with Old Bay seasoning and toss together.
- Return the pan with the bacon grease to the stove top and sauté the onion and shrimp just until the shrimp turn pink.
- Remove the shrimp from the pan and set on a plate.
- Return the pan to the stove top and sprinkle the pan with flour and cook over medium heat.
- Whisk in the white wine to the hot pan.
- Cook for a minute and then whisk in the half and half.
- Stir in the shrimp/onion mixture and cook till thickened.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Put a large spoonful of hot grits on the plate and top with the hot shrimp sauce.
- Sprinkle with chopped green onion and crisp bacon bits.
Click here to follow Sassy Mama on Facebook.