Boy warns mother of fire in apartment complex


Thursday, July 10th 2008, 11:07 pm
By: News 9


By Stacey Cameron, NEWS 9

Caleb Rodgers was sitting next to his mother April Rodgers Thursday afternoon, seemingly upset when she asked him what was wrong, Rodgers said. 

"He said, ‘My bedroom's on fire,'" Caleb said.

Rodgers looked in her son's room to find his bunk beds fully engulfed in flames. Both mother and son made it out of their Mason Village apartment safely, fire authorities said.

Caleb did suffer some minor burns while trying to leave his bedroom and one firefighter was treated for heat exhaustion after battling the flames in the summertime heat.

As firemen looked into the cause of the fire, people living in the apartment complex said they already knew.

"I am assuming, given what everybody else is telling me, that it was an electrical problem," Rodgers said.

The complex's management was unavailable for comment.