Messy properties spark action from neighbors

Monday, August 18th 2008, 6:21 pm
By: News 9

By Amanda Taylor, NEWS 9

OKLAHOMA CITY -- A northwest Oklahoma City resident complained about a neighbor's house and messy property.

"That house is such an eyesore," Nancy Cook said. "It's just embarrassing."

Nancy Cook and her husband Grayson Cook drive by the house every time they go home.

Neighbors said the home owner planted a dead tree. They also complained about a lawnmower parked, left untouched, on the property.

"I'd say it's been there over a year," Nancy Cook said.

The Cooks said when they filed a complaint with the city, they received a letter which stated there was no violation at the house.

"When I filled out the form online, I really didn't talk about the grass and weeds," Nancy Cook said. "I talked about the bricks."

The Cooks called code enforcement, but were directed to the city's zoning department.

While code enforcement handles complaints of trash and debris, the bricks and cinderblocks are considered materials, making the complaint a permit and zoning issue. Code enforcement is still involved, however.

City Code Enforcement Contacts

  • Guthrie Code Enforcement, 282-1110
  • Oklahoma City Code Enforcement, 297-2535
  • Moore Code Enforcement, 793-5052
  • Chickasha Code Enforcement, 220-6010
  • Bethany Code Enforcement, 789-6005
  • Midwest Code Enforcement, 739-8249
  • Blackwell Code Enforcement, 363-0300
  • Edmond Code Enforcement, 359-4793
  • Mannford Code Enforcement, 865-4059
  • Tecumseh Code Enforcement, 598-3911
  • Durant Code Enforcement, 931-6610
  • Tulsa Code Enforcement, (918) 596-7698
  • Stillwater Code Enforcement, 742-8346
  • Ada Code Enforcement, (580) 436-8136
  • Sand Springs Code Enforcement, (918) 246-2576
  • Grove Code Enforcement, (918) 786-6107
  • If your city is not listed, contact the city office.

After inspector Charles Locke of the Oklahoma City's Code Enforcement visited the house, he said the residents had actually improved the appearance compared to what the property looked like two weeks previous.

"If you try and make progress, we'll probably work with them," Locke said.

The zoning department said they sent out a notice to the residents as well.

Complaints about properties within Oklahoma City can be filed by calling the Action Line at (405) 297-2535.