OKLAHOMA CITY -- Firefighters said at least eight apartments were damaged in a large fire at an apartment complex near May Avenue and Memorial Road in Oklahoma City Tuesday afternoon.
Fire crews said within two minutes of receiving a call, they arrived at the apartment building at Quail Ridge Apartments, but by then three units were already fully engulfed in flames. Firefighters said the flames spread quickly and they fought the four-alarm fire defensively. After about 45 minutes, firefighters were able to get the fire under control and did a search of the affected apartments.
Firefighters were worried that the water used to put out the fire was freezing, making it a slippery hazard for both residents and firefighters.
Fire officials believe the fire may have been started by smoking materials which ignited a propane tank inside one of the apartments, causing a small explosion.
No injuries were reported from the fire. Many residents said a few neighbors made sure everyone got out of the apartments safely.
"We had six neighbors busting in doors and windows to make sure that everyone was out and everyone was safe. So I'm thanking God that we have good neighbors and some people to look out after us, especially when we're not all here," said apartment resident Courtney Clayton.
"There were about six of us that were going around looking and breaking open the doors, breaking windows to make sure everybody was out," said James Thompson, who helped evacuate residents.
The Red Cross Disaster Team was called to help families displaced by the fire.
Investigators believe smoking material ignited a grill's propane tank and exploded.