OKLAHOMA CITY -- Oklahoma City firefighters battled a large fire Monday morning at an apartment complex near N.W. 122nd Street and May Avenue.
A resident at the Aspen Place Apartments told firefighters when he turned on his heater Monday morning, he heard a popping sound and his lights went out. At first he thought a storm might have knocked out power. He stepped outside to see if anyone else was affected and smelled what he thought was burning trash. The man saw some smoke, realized something was wrong and immediately called 911.
When firefighters arrived just before 7 a.m., they saw smoke and flames shooting through the roof of a two-story building.
Firefighters say the fire got into the attic and because there were no firewalls, the flames quickly swept through the top four apartments on the eight-unit complex. Almost everything was destroyed in the upper floors, but crews were able to protect the bottom four units and salvage most of the belongings in them.
Firefighters put out the flames within 30 minutes. All the residents escaped the fire and no one was hurt. Firefighters aren't sure yet what started the blaze.