Yukon Family Escapes Early-Morning House Fire

Thursday, November 3rd 2011, 8:30 am
By: News 9


YUKON, Oklahoma -- A family's attempt to keep warm caused a house fire early Thursday morning in the 700 block of Markley Lane in Yukon.

The homeowner said he and his family started a fire in the fireplace Wednesday night. About 1:30 a.m. on Thursday, they were awakened when smoke filled their home. They quickly escaped and called 911.

Firefighters rushed to the house and discovered flames roaring through the attic. Crews broke through the roof to put out the fire. The homeowner told firefighters he'd used his fireplace a lot last year, but hadn't cleaned it before he lit another fire Wednesday night. The fire started in the chimney. Captain Richard King with the Yukon Fire Department said people need to make sure to have a professional thoroughly clean their fireplace.

"The cooler weather is an instant reminder that if you burned a lot last year... to have those fireplaces cleaned before you start again this year."

The fire caused damage to the roof, attic and inside the house, but fire crews said there are a lot of salvageable items in the house.  No one was hurt.