Witnesses Recall Shooting In Bricktown That Injured 9 People

Tuesday, May 22nd 2012, 11:36 pm
By: News 9

A shooting sparked chaos and concern after Monday night's Thunder win. A teenager is behind bars. Eight people suffered gunshot wounds. The most serious, Norman Richards, was hit by a stray bullet.

The shooting has a lot of people on edge and others wondering about the safety for the thousands of fans who go downtown.

The shooting happened right outside the Sonic headquarters. Police told News 9 two groups got into a fight, and that's when someone pulled out a gun and started firing.

News 9 was there as police brought in one of the teens they believe took part in the shooting.

Shortly after 5 p.m. Tuesday, police brought in 19-year-old Rodney Dewon Hill to the Oklahoma City police department for questioning. He is being held in connection with the shooting that sent thousands of people ducking for cover, and sent nine people to the hospital.

5/22/2012 Related Story: One Arrested In Connection With Bricktown Shooting After Thunder Game

"Just started hearing gunshots right over here," Scott Kaufman said.

Scott Kaufman and his girlfriend were just feet away when it happened.

"It was really horrible to watch and see. Everybody ducking for cover parents on top of their kids, you know, if was pandemonium, everybody was running after a minute," Tara Ahrendt said.

"I got out of the car cause I was thinking of going over to help them, and the gunshots were still going off," Kaufman said.

Despite having surveillance cameras up in the area, police don't know if they recorded the shooting, since several of the cameras are down due to downtown construction. But the chief of police wants to assure the public that Bricktown is safe. And those visiting Bricktown agree.

The chief told News 9 they have actually doubled up their police presence in the Bricktown and Thunder Alley area because of the games and increased activity downtown.

5/22/2012 Related Story: Bricktown Association Calls Shooting 'Isolated Event'

The wounded range in age from 13 years old to 22 years old. A pregnant woman was also hit or kicked in the chaos. We're told most of the injuries are not life-threatening.