Family Of Missing Kingfisher Woman Now Cope With Her Death

Saturday, June 30th 2012, 10:28 pm
By: News 9

After a week and a half of waiting, the family of a 76-year-old woman who went missing got the heartbreaking news that her car had been found in a shallow creek Saturday morning.

Betty Simon had been visiting her husband at an assisted living facility in Oklahoma after he had heart surgery. She was headed home to Kingfisher when something went wrong.

Simon's car was found under a bridge, in a shallow creek along North Council Road, just South of West Edmond Road. Her family was there shortly after a volunteer search party located the car.

6/30/2012 Related Story: Family: Missing Kingfisher Woman Found Dead In Car In OKC

"She is a lovely gal. We're all going to miss her. She just kind of held everybody together, held everybody together," said Betty's older Brother Wayne Mallett. "I don't know what else to say, she'll be missed."

A nation-wide silver alert was issued for Simon more than a week ago and since then, her family and friends were restless. They did not give up hope that Betty would be found.

"We just knew that we had to find her. We couldn't give up without finding her," said Mallett. "We don't know if she suffered or not but we know it's just over."

Saturday afternoon, the Oklahoma County Sheriff's Office confirmed the car belonged to Betty but officials would not say if the woman found dead inside the car was Betty Simon. Her family said they had no reason to doubt it was her. Just after noon on Saturday, authorities also canceled the Silver Alert for the 76-year-old. Her family was devastated yet relieved to know what happened.

"Today it's relief. We've been searching for nine days. So today is a day of relief that we know what happened."

Simon's daughter wanted to thank everyone involved in the search and said it could not have been done without the support from friends, law enforcement and even strangers who gave up their time to search for her mom.

Sheriff's officials said it could be some time before the Medical Examiner's Office released its findings on the death.