$1 Million In Belongings Lost After Large Shed Fire In Norman

Thursday, August 2nd 2012, 1:59 pm
By: News 9

A homeowner in Norman says her family lost about $1 million in belongings when a large shed in the backyard went up in flames.

Around noon Thursday, a family member parked a four-wheeler and a trailer inside the large shed behind the home on Tecumseh Road near 72nd Avenue. Moments after the relative went inside the house, the homeowners heard a large explosion.

The explosion caused a huge fire, and was quickly followed by two smaller explosions. Smoke from the fire could be seen miles away. The homeowners immediately called the fire department, and crews arrived within minutes.

Neighbors also rushed to help, using garden hoses to wet the couple's house and nearby trees so the fire would not spread. It took firefighters about 45 minutes to extinguish the fire.

No one was hurt, but paramedics did have to treat one of the homeowners for a heat-related problem.

One of the homeowners told News 9 the large shed held a couple of vehicles, welding equipment, tools and various personal possessions.