Bethany Nursing Home Evacuated After Ceiling Collapse

Saturday, September 1st 2012, 1:13 pm
By: News 9

Residents at a nursing home in Bethany were evacuated Saturday morning after the ceiling in the building's dining area collapsed. 

Emergency crews responded to a 911 call from Forest Glade Retirement Community at 2480 N. Glade in Bethany. At least 35 residents at the retirement home were eating lunch when the ceiling collapsed in the dining hall.

At first, firefighters believed there may be people trapped under debris, but when they arrived no one was trapped or hurt. 

Firefighters and staff at the assisted living center evacuated residents by wheeling or walking them to safety. 

Fire officials say a sprinkler head broke and the sheet rock fell from the ceiling. They say this is the third time crews have been called to the nursing home this week due to sprinkler problems.

Bethany Fire Chief Scott Schroder says no one should be staying at the retirement center because he thinks conditions are unsafe.

"We've got electrical issues in here now, we got sprinkler issues. I don't... I really don't believe it to be safe at this time for anybody to stay in there right now," Schroder said.

News 9 tried to contact a spokesperson for Forest Glade Retirement Community to find out where the evacuated residents would spend the night. We were told the administrator would not be available to answer any questions.