Christmas Tree Lights Spark Fire At Del City House


Monday, December 24th 2012, 4:25 pm
By: News 9


Some Christmas tree lights sparked a fire that destroyed a Del City home on Monday. Authorities say the residents made it out safely, but the home was destroyed.

Fire crews from the Del City, Oklahoma City, Midwest City and Tinker fire departments responded to the fire at about 3 p.m. Monday, at a house located in the 1500 block of Shalimar Drive in Del City.

Firefighters were able to contain the fire, but they say the home is a total loss.

Seven people were inside the house when it caught on fire. They made it out safely. Authorities say they did find one of the homeowners' pets, but four other pets are still missing.

The residents say they turned on the Christmas lights on the tree, and the lights sparked the fire.

One resident said the house belongs to her mother, who is in the hospital undergoing surgery. She said her mother does not know about the fire yet.

Fire officials say the fire has caused about $71,000 of damage to the home and its contents.