Firefighters evacuated two homes Monday morning for several hours after lightning sparked a gas fire new N.W. 10th Street and Morgan Road; but just after 6:15 a.m., crews extinguished those flames.
Around 2:30 a.m., a bolt of lightning struck a small gas line in the 1300 block of Mayside Drive. Flames soon erupted from the gas line, frightening residents.
"I heard it," said evacuated resident Spanky Maly. "It was a rumble of thunder, and then the loud boom, and then we could see the orange glow through the blinds, so we knew something was on fire."
Oklahoma City firefighters evacuated Maly and another resident, but allowed other neighbors to stay in their homes.
Around 6:15, crews from Oklahoma Natural Gas shut down the gas line and killed the flames. Evacuated residents were allowed to return to their homes.