OKC Father Speaks Out After Suspects Arrested In Son's Murder

Monday, March 4th 2013, 5:15 pm
By: News 9

There is a big break in the investigation into the murder of a rising young basketball star. Two suspects are arrested and a third is already in jail, accused of another violent crime.

News 9 was the one who broke the news of the arrests to Anthony Hartfield Senior, the murder victim's father.

3/4/2013 Related Story: Police Arrest Two Men Suspected In Oklahoma College Student's Murder

Anthony Hartfield Jr. was playing college ball at Connors State College. He had dreams of playing in the NBA.

2/14/2013 Related Story: Family: OKC Homicide Victim Had Dream Of Being NBA Player

Hartfield's death is Oklahoma City's second murder of the year. His father says he hasn't slept well since his home was broken into, and his son was shot and killed inside.

The images of his son playing ball still haunt this grieving father to this day.

"I just have dreams sometimes about him," said Anthony Hartfield Sr. "He was a good kid, I can't bring him back."

Dreams about what could have been had Anthony Hartfield Jr. not been visiting that dreadful night.

He was shot and killed inside his father's home January 14.

Court papers reveal a total of five people are believed to be involved in the attempted robbery that resulted in murder.

"I wish they would at least come forward you know and turn themselves in." Hartfield Sr. said.

At least one of them has. Sheriff's Deputies arrested Deandre Smith on Friday.

Court papers reveal Smith confessed to his part in the crime, and revealed what happened, saying Tywane Marquis Sellars held the gun used in the killing, and that Nicco Lemar Price was the one who kicked in the front door of the Hartfield home.

Price is currently in the county jail, accused of kidnapping and robbery with a dangerous weapon in another case from last month.

Anthony's father says he does not recognize any of the young men accused in his son's murder, and wonders why they would have targeted his home.

"Rob me for what, don't know, " said Hartfield Sr. " I don't have the slightest idea what they would rob me for."

Hartfield Sr. says he had just moved into his home on N.E. 46th street two weeks before the murder.

In the end, he says the people responsible took the most precious thing possible, his son.

"It's a terrible, terrible thing! I'm going to go ahead and move on out. Yes, yes I am," he said.

Police are in the process of getting that arrest warrant for Nicco Price, even though he already is in the county jail being held on a 180 thousand dollar bond.