Metro Neighbors Feel Left In The Cold

Monday, November 25th 2013, 5:20 pm
By: Karl Torp

Families impacted by an apartment fire in northwest OKC on Friday fear being homeless.

"I just feel like crawling up in a ball and crying," says Crystal Whitehead who, until Friday, lived at the Oak Leaf Gardens Apartments on the 5700 block of N.W. 19th Street.

Whitehead and her three children have been staying at a motel paid for by the Red Cross. Whitehead tells News 9 if she wants to stay longer, she has to pay for it herself. She's upset because she hasn't been given any of her rent money or deposit back and can't afford the motel.

"It wasn't our apartment. We didn't start the fire," says Whitehead.

News 9 contacted Whitehead's landlord who says anybody impacted by Friday's fire will be compensated.

"It is our responsibility to find accommodations, at least until the end of the month," says Jain Joseph of Oak Leaf Gardens Apartments.

Joseph says tenants affected will also get their deposit money back.

As of 5 p.m. Monday in Midtown, heat was restored to tenants of the Aberdeen at 125 N.W. 15th.  The boiler broke on Saturday and Aberdeen management told News 9 that the boiler has been fixed and is up and running again.

11/24/2013 Related Story: Busted Boiler Leaves OKC Apartment Residents In The Cold

This weekend, some tenants were spotted with firewood. Others are using space heaters to stay warm while the heat was out.