Family Of 10 Escapes House Fire In NE OKC


Thursday, January 2nd 2014, 11:44 am
By: News 9


Three adults and seven children escaped a burning house Thursday morning when a space heater sparked a fire in their northeast Oklahoma City home.

The fire started just before 6 a.m. at a house near N.E. 14th Street and Standish Avenue. The flames quickly spread, but firefighters arrived within minutes and put out the fire.

Firefighters say the family was using a space heater in a cluttered area, and that's what caused the fire.

"My sister got up, she turned the space heater off," said fire victim Crystal Gaston. "Then around 5:30 or 6, the room was just orange, bursting in flames. So we just go all the kinds out. We didn't think about anything. We just got everybody out of the house."

The family says some of them ran out outside in the frigid weather without jackets or shoes, but they are all okay. They tell News 9 they hope people learn a lesson from their story, and use space heaters safely.