Cleanup Continues After Water Main Break At OKC Nursing Home

Monday, October 20th 2014, 5:25 pm
By: Dana Hertneky

The cleanup continued Monday at a metro nursing home. According to EMSA, 56 residents had to be evacuated early Sunday morning after a water main broke and flooded the facility.

According to a spokesperson for ManorCare, demolition and repair of the damaged areas began immediately Sunday and they will continue to assess when it is safe for patients and employees to return. They do not have a timeline for the repairs.

First responders described a chaotic scene when they first arrived at the ManorCare nursing home around 1 a.m. Sunday.

“What they were dealing with was a very, very unique situation,” said Michael Murphy with EMSA, who was one of those on the scene.

A 10-inch water line break in the office sent a fountain of water and mud flowing throughout the building. The force of the water even blew toilets off the floor.

10/19/2014 Related Story: Metro Rehab Facility Evacuated After Overnight Water Main Break

“We had to prepare for rapid relocation of all 56 residents because water was ankle deep throughout the facility and they obviously couldn't stay there,” said Murphy.

Those residents with the most serious medical issues were transported quickly to area hospitals. Then, Murphy said, with the help of Oklahoma City Firefighters, a private EMS company, and even Airport Express busses, the rest of the residents were transported to other facilities.

The main challenge was finding space for all of them. Thirty-two people went to other ManorCare facilities. Six local hospitals stepped up and took the rest, which Murphy says is no easy task. Integris Baptist Hospital, St. Anthony's Hospital, OU Edmond, McBride Clinic, Integris SW Medical Center, and Integris Edmond all accepted patients.

Still despite all this, Murphy says there were no major issues. And it seemed the facility implemented a well-organized plan.

“It was amazing we were able to do it in a matter of two and a half, three hours.”

According to ManorCare families were immediately notified about the issue and informed where their loved ones were moved and they are working to move as many of the patients from the hospital back to one of the ManorCare locations as space permits.