Metro Hotel Guests Forced To Leave After Standoff

Saturday, February 21st 2015, 10:31 pm
By: News 9

There's fallout at a metro hotel that was the scene of a dramatic standoff Friday night.

Saturday, all of the guests were forced out of that hotel and relocated to another one.

"Just a real hassle," said hotel guest Michael Purcell.

Purcell and other guests loaded their cars Saturday and prepared to leave.

He said it's unclear when they'd be allowed to return to the Extended Stay America near N.W. Expressway and Meridian.

"No one was having an idea whether we will come back here or if our luggage will be there or not," said Pratik Kasraliker, who's been staying at the hotel for three weeks as he works at Chesapeake.

Each guest was escorted back inside the hotel to pack. This came after a near 10-hour standoff Friday when Oklahoma City police came looking for 36-year-old Chad Yeaman, a hotel guest wanted for burglary.

"I saw him every day, he sat in the window when I would pull in, I would see him in the window looking out," Purcell said.

Police said Yeaman told staff he was an undercover agent, carried a gun and wore a fake badge. He barricaded himself inside his room on the second floor and set his mattress on fire, which forced the entire hotel to be evacuated and set off the sprinklers. 

2/20/2015 Related Story: Convicted Con Man Arrested After Lengthy Standoff In NW OKC

Police later used a robot and explosives to get inside Yeaman's room and arrested him.

It was a drawn out situation, some residents said could've been avoided.

"I became even more angrier [sic] that this guy has been here 11 days and nobody's verified who or what he is, and everybody in this hotel is at jeopardy," said Purcell, who's stayed at the hotel for 14 months as a contracted worker in El Reno.

Purcell and his wife said they are upset at the handling of the guests since the standoff. He said he even plans to sue the hotel.

"They let this guy in, they didn't verify him, but I have to show I.D. I have to prove that I'm registered at this hotel to get my things out, that's kind of an oxymoron."

The hotel suffered extensive water damage and did not release any further details without consent from the Extended Stay America corporate office.

Yeaman was taken to the hospital to be examined and will be booked in the Oklahoma County Jail. 

2/20/2015 Related Story: Standoff With Alleged Burglary Suspect Ends At NW OKC Motel