Carney Girl Doing Well After Major Fall

Monday, March 30th 2015, 10:20 pm
By: News 9

A family of a little girl experienced a big scare as she took a fall at Carney Elementary School.

She lost consciousness and was rushed to OU Medical Center by chopper.

As the Carney High School softball team took the field, one of their biggest fans had to sit out, literally. Little Kaitlin Denwalt's family wanted her to stay seated because of her very active day.

Monday afternoon during recess, Kaitlin took to the six-foot tall plastic rock-climbing wall on the playground. A feat for a 4-year-old preschooler, but Kaitlin was determined to make it to the top.

But when she did, her foot slipped and she fell down face-first into the ground.

She was unconscious for 15 minutes, words no mother wants to hear.

"They were just calling me telling me she was unresponsive and not moving," said Teresa Butler, Kaitlin's mother.

Kaitlin was taken by Mediflight to OU Medical Center as Butler rushed to get to the hospital.

"When I got there, she was in the trauma, and she was having CAT scans going on, the scariest part was when you walk in the door, and they said the chaplain wants to talk to you, then immediately you think bad thoughts," Butler said.

But to her relief, Butler said the doctor said the scan looked good, and there was no evidence of a concussion. Kaitlyn only has a light scratch that has since vanished.

"She's doing pretty good right now, she's a little tired, but she's a daredevil," Butler said.

Her grandfather said they were just at the playground the night before when Kaitlin climbed the rock wall and couldn't get down.

"So I helped her down, I said, ‘Now listen, don't you do that anymore, that's too dangerous for little kids.' And apparently she didn't listen to me, she did it today at school," said Don Hale, Kaitlin's grandfather.

Now that Kaitlin is home, she continues to run, jump and climb.

But as for climbing the rock wall again, she shook her head saying, “Never."

The Carney Elementary School principal said all playground safety procedures were followed and the school is investigating the fall.