Fugitive Michael Vance Killed By Law Officers After Shootout In Western OK

Sunday, October 30th 2016, 9:17 pm
By: LeighAnne Manwarren

A fugitive who had been on the run for eight days has died after a shootout with law officers in western Oklahoma.

Michael Vance was killed Sunday night while law enforcement agencies were investigating a possible sighting of him near Hammon. 

A chase and shootout ensued when officers were conducting a perimeter search of the area. Oklahoma Highway Patrol troopers killed Vance. No troopers were injured.

Shortly before the chase, Dewey County Sheriff Clay Sander was shot in the arm and elbow when he pulled over Vance in a different vehicle. Sander was taken to a hospital.

News 9 confirmed Monday morning his injuries are not life-threatening. 

Law officers were called about 3 p.m. Sunday to a wooded area near Hammon in western Oklahoma after a person said they found the silver Mitsubishi Eclipse thought to be stolen by Vance. An apparent campsite was found in the area. Vance drove the car away and was able to steal a different vehicle.

Law enforcement agencies set up a perimeter and thought Vance is still in the perimeter as of 9 p.m.

At about 9:30 p.m., on Highway 34 near the Leedey Rodeo, Sheriff Sander pulled over a flatbed truck because he thought it was dragging something. The driver of that truck turned out to be Vance, which he stole. After shooting Sheriff Sander, Vance drove away.

About half an hour later, Oklahoma Highway Patrol located the truck and Vance, beginning the gunfight that killed Vance. Four troopers were in the shootout and Vance was hit multiple times. No troopers were injured in the shootout.

The Beckham County Sheriff's Office asked residents to call 911 if they spot a small, silver, two-door car in the area.

Vance was accused of killing two relatives in Luther and shooting multiple people including two Wellston police officers in Lincoln County.

Officers were asking residents to be safe and alert while they searched the area. 

Hammon Public Schools said they will be closed Monday due to the search for Vance. 

Vance was on the run from law officers since Oct. 23, leading to a statewide manhunt. 

"It's one of those sad, happy days that our parents are finally at peace," a daughter of Ronnie and Valerie Kay Wilkson told News 9 after it was reported that Vance was killed.

Stay with News 9 and News9.com for more information as it becomes available.