Firefighters warn against carbon monoxide poisoning


Wednesday, December 12th 2007, 12:31 pm
By: News 9


NEWS 9

Carbon monoxide currently stands as a potential treat to those trying to stay warm at home. Firefighters warn against using propane-powered heaters and charcoal grills inside the home as a source of heat.

"That is extremely dangerous. The effects of CO can be fatal in a very short amount of time," said John Graham, a Emergency Medical Services Authority worker.

Currently, seven people are being treated with carbon monoxide poisoning in the Oklahoma City, Okla.-metro area.  Paramedics said an initial symptom of carbon monoxide poisoning is an increased sleepy feeling.

Since midnight, EMSA said they have received 13 calls related to carbon monoxide poisoning.