Man scorched in house fire


Monday, June 23rd 2008, 8:35 am
By: News 9


NEWS 9

A house fire sent one man to the hospital last night.

Vernon Huckleberry, 85, suffered second and third-degree burns to 20 percent of his body after a fire broke out in his house at 4301 NW 56 St. around 9:30 p.m. Sunday, fire officials said. 

Firefighters said a large amount of personal items stored in the attic made it difficult to contain the fire.

"The possessions were causing an obstruction for our streams to get to, so it was a little bit more challenging for us to get the fire knocked out," District Chief Mike Wilken with the Oklahoma City Fire Department said.

Huckleberry was listed in critical condition, officials said.

Fire officials said a short in a window air conditioning unit caused the blaze. The home was considered a complete loss.