Getting into a Wreck... With a State Vehicle

Monday, October 6th 2008, 8:03 pm
By: News 9

If you get in a wreck with a state vehicle, you'll go through a different process than if it was with someone who has private insurance. 

State vehicles are all self insured through the state.  And by law - the state has 90 days to approve or deny your claim. 

If they don't make any decision and 90 days passes, by law, your claim is automatically denied.  At that point, you can file a suit against the state.

They tell me that their goal for minor accidents is to compensate within a month... and they will also reimburse for rental car fees.

If you need to file a claim, you need to do it within 1 year of the accident. 

Click on this link.. it will take you to the state's risk managment division faq: