Orzo Spinach and Pine Nuts
Tuesday, October 14th 2008, 9:21 am
By: News 9
- 1 (16 ounce) package uncooked orzo
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh basil
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup pine nuts toasted
- 8oz fresh baby spinach
- 1/8 cup balsamic vinegar
- 4oz. crumbled feta cheese
- 1 fresh tomato, diced
- salt to taste
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add pasta and cook for 8 to 10 minutes. (Firm or slightly undercooked orzo works best for this dish.) Drain, transfer to a mixing bowl, and set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat, stirring to blend. Stir in garlic, basil, and red pepper flakes, and reduce heat to medium. Stir in pine nuts and cook until lightly browned. Add spinach, cover, and cook on low heat for 5 minutes, or until spinach is wilted.
- Toss spinach mixture with orzo pasta. Portion onto serving plates with a drizzle of balsamic vinegar and a sprinkling of crumbled feta cheese and chopped tomatoes. Allow guests to adjust seasoning with salt, as needed.
1 serving (1/8th of recipe) provides 370 calories, 11 grams protein, 16 grams fat, 4 grams saturated fat, 0 mg trans fat, 46 grams carbohydrate, 3 grams fiber, 13 mg cholesterol and 186 mg sodium