Carbon monoxide poisoning sends 4 to hospital


Tuesday, October 28th 2008, 9:07 am
By: News 9


By Gan Matthews, NEWS 9

OKLAHOMA CITY - Four people were hospitalized Tuesday morning for apparent carbon monoxide poisoning.

Doris Offiah and her three children were inside their northwest Oklahoma City home when Offiah started to feel ill. She called her brother, Valentine Umeh, who lives nearby.

"She crawled from her room to open the door for me," Umeh said. "When I found her on the floor, I asked her, ‘Where are the kids?' She told me all of them were in her room, and I went to her room and found them on the floor."

Umeh had the presence of mind to call 911. Firefighters arrived, recognized there was carbon monoxide in the air, and got everyone out.

"Carbon monoxide is dangerous, especially at higher levels, whether you're a child or an adult," Oklahoma City Fire Department Maj. Garry Jones said.

Oklahoma Natural Gas suspects an appliance, possibly the furnace, may have been the source.

"The customer had just recently turned on the furnace, last night was the first time they turned it on," Chris Leon with ONG said.

"I think I'm the luckiest person on earth today, because I don't know what would have happened if she didn't called me," Umeh said.

Carbon monoxide is odorless, but it does cause flu-like symptoms. If you experience these symptoms, get fresh air immediately.