• 6 cups chicken stock
• 1/2 teaspoons salt
• 3 1/2 cups cubed fresh pumpkin
• 1 teaspoon fresh parsley
• 1 cup chopped onion
• 1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
• 1 clove garlic, minced
• 1/2 cup lowfat milk + ½ cup arrowroot
• 5 whole black peppercorns
1. Cut pumpkin into 1/2-inch cubes.
2. Heat stock, salt, pumpkin, onion, thyme, garlic, and peppercorns. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, and simmer for 30 minutes uncovered.
3. Puree the soup in small batches (1 cup at a time) using a food processor or blender.
4. Return to pan and bring to a boil again. Reduce heat to low and simmer for another 30 minutes, uncovered. Stir in milk + arrowroot mixture. Pour into soup bowls and garnish with fresh parsley.
One serving (1/9th of recipe) provides 120 calories, 9 grams protein, 2 grams fat, 1 gram saturated fat, 17 grams carbohydrate, 4 grams fiber, and 2 mg cholesterol. The sodium content varies depending on chicken stock. Chicken stock, made without salt, contains very little sodium.