2 tomatoes, large, ripe, halved
1 slice whole wheat bread, crusts removed
2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese, grated
1 garlic clove, finely minced
1 teaspoon olive oil
1 teaspoon oregano, dried
1/2 teaspoon basil, dried
1/2 teaspoon thyme, dried
salt and pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Gently squeeze tomatoes or use a spoon to remove the seeds.
3. In a blender or food processor, make crumbs out of bread.
4. In a small bowl, combine bread crumbs, cheese, garlic, oil, oregano, basil, thyme, and salt and pepper to taste.
5. Spoon crumb mixture into each halved tomato.
6. Place tomato in a casserole dish; bake uncovered 25-30 minutes until tomatoes are soft, but not mushy, and topping is golden brown.
Makes 4 servings
Nutrition Facts Per Serving:
Carbohydrates: 8 grams
Protein: 3 grams
Fat: 3 grams
Sodium: 75 mg
Fiber: 2 grams
Menu suggestion: Becky's Beef Brisket
baked Greek Tomatoes
small cup of low fat ice cream
*Serve Greek tomatoes with hummus and pita bread for a healthy snack.
*Save the scooped out tomato and seeds for soup or other casserole dishes.