Free Tax Help

Thursday, February 5th 2009, 4:26 pm
By: News 9

After our first story aired about JK Harris, we had more viewers call us with similar stories.  Their best bet is to file a complaint with Oklahoma's attorney general's consumer protection unit 405-521-3921.

It has a lot of people just thinking of filing their taxes themselves.  If you're thinking about it, don't hesitate to ask a lot of questions.  And the IRS is there to help - for free!

You can call them at 1-800-tax-1040 (7am-10pm).
You can also visit their offices at 55 N. Robinson in Oklahoma City (297-4057).  Their open 8:30am-4:30pm.

If you want to talk to someone in person and can't do it during the week, the IRS is opening up their N. Robinson location this Saturday (February 7th) and Saturday Feb. 21st from 9am-2pm.

Also - this is a time when the IRS can help with EITC - Earned Income Tax Credit.  Here's the information they gave me about it:

The EITC is a refundable credit which can result in, or increase, a refund by more than $4,800 for eligible taxpayers. Taxpayers with incomes of $41,646 or less may be eligible to claim this credit, depending upon their tax filing and family status.  (Please see attached graphic.)

Taxpayers who want to know if they qualify for the EITC are welcome to visit any of these offices.  IRS personnel will be available to answer taxpayers' questions, offer additional information about the EITC, and prepare tax returns to claim the credit.

Taxpayers who would like assistance but cannot visit an IRS office on one of these Saturdays can visit any IRS Taxpayer Assistance Center on any weekday for help.

Aside from IRS offices, taxpayers may also receive free help at more than 12,000 volunteer tax assistance sites nationwide. Taxpayers can locate their nearest VITA (Volunteer Income Tax Assistance) or TCE/AARP Tax-Aide free tax help site by dialing 211 or 311 in cities where such information services are offered, or by calling, toll-free, (800) 906-9887, weekdays between the hours of 7 a.m and 10 p.m., local time.  More information about free tax help through volunteer programs can be found here: <,,id=107626,00.html>

Taxpayers seeking assistance at any IRS office or volunteer site should bring with them identification and tax-related records, including:
>  Valid driver's license or photo identification (including spouse, if married)
>  Social Security cards for all persons to be shown on the tax return
>  Dates of birth for all persons to be shown on the tax return
>  All income statements, such as Forms W-2 and 1099, including Social Security, Unemployment, or other statements
>  Dependent child care information, such as the care provider's name, address and SSN or other taxpayer ID number
>  For refund direct deposit, or payment by direct debit, proof of account at financial institution (e.g. canceled/ voided check or
         bank statement)
>  A copy of last year's tax return (if available)
>  Any other documents or papers the taxpayer feels may be important for tax purposes
More information about the EITC can be found online at <>.  A special interactive feature found at called "EITC Assistant" can determine the amount of EITC for which a person is eligible.  Here's a direct link: <>.
In addition to the IRS Website, <>, where taxpayers may find federal tax information, forms, instructions and publications, taxpayers may also contact the IRS by telephone.  For tax questions, the toll-free number to call is (800) TAX-1040.  For forms, instructions and publications, the toll-free number to call is (800) TAX-FORM.  Both lines are available from 7 a.m. to 10 p.m., weekdays.