The Perfect Valentine's Dinner
Tuesday, February 10th 2009, 9:46 am
By: News 9
Champagne Poached Salmon
- 2 4 ounce fresh salmon steaks or fillets (skin and bones removed)
- 2 cups champagne
- ¼ cup fresh lime juice
- 2 slices red onion
- 4 sprigs fresh tarragon
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Season the salmon lightly with salt and pepper.
- Place the salmon in a pan just large enough to hold the salmon all in one layer.
- Add the champagne and lime juice (just enough liquid to cover the top of the fish).
- Remove the fish and bring the liquid to a boil.
- Return the salmon to the pan.
- Top each with an onion slice and tarragon sprig.
- Reduce heat to a simmer and simmer for 6 to 10 minutes (depending on thickness of the salmon).
- Remove the salmon from the liquid and place on two warm plates.
- Top each piece of fish with 1 tablespoon strawberry relish and serve.
- 1 cup strawberries, chopped
- 2 Tablespoons fresh lime juice
- ¼ small onion, chopped
- ¼ bunch cilantro, chopped
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ poblano pepper, seeded and chopped
- Place all ingredients into food processor and pulse for 15 seconds
- Next using a rubber spatula wipe down the sides and pulse for 15 seconds.
- Repeat step 2.
- Serve. It even tastes better the next day!
Chef Dave Notes: Always refrigerate relish once made.
Veggie Basil Stir Fry
- ¼ pound whole wheat pasta, cooked and drained
- ¼ cup onion, diced
- ¼ cloves garlic, chopped
- ¼ cup asparagus tips
- ¼ cup cherry tomatoes cut in half
- ¼ cup yellow squash, chopped
- ¼ cup mushrooms, sliced
- ¼ cup pea pods, cut in half
- ½ bunch basil, do not chop
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- ¼ cup olive oil
- Place all vegetables and spices into a large mixing bowl and mix well.
- Next over medium high heat, add olive oil into a large sauté pan.
- Once olive oil is hot, add veggies and cook for 6 minutes.
- Add pasta and sauté for another 2 minutes. Serve.
- 2 cups fresh spinach chopped
- ½ cup cherry tomatoes cut in half
- ¼ cup Blue cheese
- 1 hardboiled egg, chopped
- Place all ingredients into a medium size bowl and toss.
- Serve with your favorite salad dressing.
Chef Dave Note: Fresh squeezed lemon with olive oil, and a touch of sea salt rounds out this spinach salad.
Fresh Berries and Vanilla Cream
- ¼ cup raspberries
- ¼ cup blackberries
- ¼ cup blueberries
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- ¼ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 mint leaves, whole
- 2 Wine glasses
- Mix berries and place into two wine glasses.
- Place heavy cream, sugar, and vanilla into a small bowl and mix well.
- Drizzle vanilla cream over berries and garnish with mint leaf.