1 whole chicken, 2 1/2 pounds
2 tbs olive oil
1 1/2 tbs kosher salt
1 ts fresh cracked black pepper
1 ts smoked paprika
1 ounce fresh thyme
1 small head garlic
1 small lemon
1. Rub the olive oil inside and outside of the chicken.
2. Mix salt, pepper, paprika and rub evenly all over the chicken to season.
3. Cut the lemon and garlic head in half and stuff inside the bird.
4. Stuff half of the thyme inside the bird and use the rest to cover the outside.
5. Wrap in plastic and set chicken in refrigerator for at least 1 hour up to 24 hours.
6. To truss the chicken: fold the wings behind the bird; cut a piece of butcher's or cooking twine about 3 feet long; from the middle point of the twine, tie the legs together at the tips- this will seal the opening; flip chicken over and run the two strands of twine along the length of the back, over the chicken's shoulders; wrap under the wings, criss-cross and pull tightly; tie a knot.
7. Place chicken with breast side up in a roasting pan on a rack so the juice will drip away from the chicken while cooking.
8. Bake at 375 degrees for about 45 minutes or until the skin is crispy golden and the internal temperature of the chicken is 155-160 degrees. (After you remove the chicken from the oven, it will continue cooking up to 165 degrees).
Nutrition Facts per serving: 1/8 of chicken
Calories: 167, Carbohydrate: 0 grams, Protein: 15 grams, Fat: 11 grams, Sodium: 675 mg, Fiber: 0 grams
* Wash hands, cutting board and knives well with soap and water before and after handling raw chicken.