Metro Woman Wakes to House on Fire


Sunday, April 19th 2009, 7:31 pm
By: News 9


NEWS 9

OKLAHOMA CITY -- A metro woman's house caught on fire Sunday while she was sleeping.

The flames started just before 9 a.m. when fire crews were called to the scene. The homeowner tried to put the flames out with a garden house, but the kitchen and living room are a total loss.

Firefighters say things could have been much worse.

"She's really lucky because there is a smoke detector at the house, but its laying on the shelf with the battery not connected on it," Oklahoma City Fire Department District Chief Larry Rusher said.

Rusher says that's a good reminder to check your smoke detector, and you can ask your local fire department for help free of charge.