COOKIE INGREDIENTS:2 cups all-purpose flour2 Tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder1/2 teaspoon baking soda1/4 teaspoon salt1/2 cup butter, softened1 cup packed brown sugar1 egg1 teaspoon vanilla1/2 cup buttermilk1 1-oz. bottle red food coloring (2 Tbsp.)
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line baking sheets with parchment; set aside.
2. In medium bowl combine flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt; set aside.
3. In large mixing bowl beat butter on medium to high 30 seconds.
4. Beat in brown sugar until light and fluffy.
5. Beat in egg and vanilla.
6. Alternately add flour mixture and buttermilk, beating after each addition just until combined.
7. Stir in food coloring.
8. Spoon batter in 1- or 2-inch diameter rounds, ( I use a small ice cream scoop!) about 1/2-inch high on prepared baking sheets, allowing 1 inch between each round.
9. Bake 7 to 9 minutes for 1-inch cookies or 9 to 11 minutes for 2-inch cookies, or until tops are set. Cool completely on baking sheets on rack. Remove cooled cookies from baking sheets.
FROSTING INGREDIENTS:1 1/2 cups butter1 1/2cups vegetable shortening9 cups confectioners' sugar4 cups marshmallow creme4 tablespoons milk1 teaspoon peppermint extract1/2 teaspoon salt1 lb hard peppermint candies
1. Mix together first seven ingredients.
2. Spread generous amount on cookie and then make a sandwich! Makes 60 one-inch or 42 two-inch cookies.
To store: Refrigerate in airtight container up to four days. Let stand at room temperature 15 minutes before serving.
To fill, dollop Whoopie Pie Filling on flat sides of half the cookies. Top with remaining cookies, flat sides down. Makes 60 one-inch or 42 two-inch cookies.