2 cups all-purpose flour
2 Tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 1-oz. bottle red food coloring (2 Tbsp.)
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line baking sheets with parchment; set aside.
2. In medium bowl combine flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt; set aside.
3. In large mixing bowl beat butter on medium to high 30 seconds.
4. Beat in brown sugar until light and fluffy.
5. Beat in egg and vanilla.
6. Alternately add flour mixture and buttermilk, beating after each addition just until combined.
7. Stir in food coloring.
8. Spoon batter in 1- or 2-inch diameter rounds, ( I use a small ice cream scoop!) about 1/2-inch high on prepared baking sheets, allowing 1 inch between each round.
9. Bake 7 to 9 minutes for 1-inch cookies or 9 to 11 minutes for 2-inch cookies, or until tops are set. Cool completely on baking sheets on rack. Remove cooled cookies from baking sheets.
1 1/2 cups butter
1 1/2cups vegetable shortening
9 cups confectioners' sugar
4 cups marshmallow creme
4 tablespoons milk
1 teaspoon peppermint extract
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 lb hard peppermint candies
1. Mix together first seven ingredients.
2. Spread generous amount on cookie and then make a sandwich! Makes 60 one-inch or 42 two-inch cookies.
To store: Refrigerate in airtight container up to four days. Let stand at room temperature 15 minutes before serving.