Neighbor Rescues 2 Children From Burning Home In Luther


Friday, December 17th 2010, 4:05 pm
By: News 9


News9.com

LUTHER, Oklahoma – Two children were rescued by a neighbor from a burning home in Luther Friday afternoon.

Neighbor Ciara Helsey heard her dogs barking and then saw the flames coming from the house in the 21000 block of Bowman Circle at about 2:30 p.m.  Helsey found a 6-year-old and a 12-year-old inside the house and was able to get the children safely out of the trailer.

"I am very fortunate because my kids wouldn't have paid attention. And they didn't even know what was going on. They could have been hurt easily," said mother Maria Carter.

Oklahoma County Sheriff's deputies were nearby and grabbed garden houses to quickly douse the flames. Fire crews from Luther and the surrounding areas also assisted in fighting the blaze.

Fire officials say the fire started from a pack of batteries that got wet from the rain, took on heat and caught fire in a trash can behind the trailer. The blaze spread behind the home, starting a small grassfire.

No injuries were reported from the blaze.