OKLAHOMA CITY – The Oklahoma City Police Department is looking for new recruits. The department is hiring OKC Ambassadors and Handicap Parking Enforcement Specialists.
Applications can be picked up at 219 E. Main St. in downtown Oklahoma City between 8 a.m. and 4 p.m. from January 10 thru January 28.
All applicants must be able to pass a background and drug screening test and will receive training for their respective positions.
Ambassadors are described as part-time, temporary, uniformed, civilian employees – no benefits. Ambassadors typically work six hour shifts between 10 a.m. and 10 p.m. in the Bricktown/Downtown area, seven days a week, year round. Applicants must be willing to work any shift, including holidays and weekends. Ambassadors are allowed, but not guaranteed, 32 hours per week at a rate of pay of $9.00 per hour. Primary duties include:
• Communicating with citizens to provide general information or public services
• Identifying and reporting information to the police by radio or telephone
• Directing traffic during special events, rush hour periods or in emergencies
The Handicap Parking Enforcement Specialist (H.P.E.S.) position is described as a part-time, temporary, uniformed, civilian employee – no benefits. The H.P.E.S. can work up to 10 days during a two week pay period and is paid $16.00 per day. There are no minimum or maximum hours specified during a work day. Primary duties include:
• Enforcement of City, State and Federal ordinances, statutes and laws pertaining to disabled parking and fire lanes, issuing citations for violations thereof, and testifying in Court regarding such citations
• Providing information concerning the use of disabled parking and fire lanes
• Distributing applications for permits and collecting expired permits
• Investigating and responding to complaints from citizens