By Robert Gruntmeir, 4th grade, Gilmour Elementary School
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 18 minutes
7 ounces enriched spiral pasta (may also use whole grain spiral pasta)
1 cup 2% milk
2 tablespoons butter
8 ounces pasteurized prepared cheese product, made with 2% milk
1 cup shredded part skim mozzarella cheese
6 ounces ham, diced
1 can (20 ounces) no sugar added sliced pineapple rings, drained
1 cup prepared spaghetti sauce
¼ cup shredded Parmesan cheese
1. Pre-heat oven to 350°. Spray a 2-2 ½ quart baking dish with non-stick spray.
2. Prepare the enriched pasta according to the package directions, drain, and set aside.
3. Combine the milk, butter and the cheese product in a microwave-safe dish and heat in the microwave until melted, about 4-5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
4. Add the melted cheese, milk and butter mixture to the cooked pasta. Add 1 cup of mozzarella cheese to pasta mixture. Mix well.
5. Sauté the diced ham in a skillet until slightly brown
6. Add sautéed ham to pasta mixture, mix well.
7. Slightly brown 6-8 pineapple rings, set aside.
8. Pour the pasta mixture into the dish.
9. Spread spaghetti sauce over the pasta mixture. Arrange the pineapple rings on top of the sauce. Top with ¼ cup of shredded Parmesan cheese.
10. Bake for about 15 minutes or until it is heated throughout and the cheese is brown.
11. Remove from oven and let sit for about 5 minutes. Serve it to your family and you've just scored a TOUCHDOWN!!