BETHANY, Oklahoma -- Firefighters said it appears a gas leak and a hot water tank may be behind a fire at a Bethany home Wednesday morning.
The homeowner said she was supposed to take her daughter, Evette, to a doctor's appointment later that morning. When she arrived home, she noticed her car had a gas leak when she pulled into the garage.
Around 8:30 a.m., the family heard an explosion and saw flames shooting from the garage. They both escaped unharmed and went to a neighbor's house.
"I heard the explosion and then the house was shaking," said Evette. "So I had to run through the back door, so, you know, I don't get burned. And I went to [the neighbor] to call 911."
Firefighters arrived within minutes and quickly put out the fire. Most of the fire damage was contained to the garage, but there was some smoke damage in the house.
Bethany Fire Chief Scott Schroder said it appears the hot water tank may have ignited fumes from the gas leak, but they won't know for certain until the investigation is complete.