Victoria Woods, Financial Diva
EDMOND, Oklahoma -- Spring Break is finally here! It is a well deserved break for most people and a chance to spend time with friends and family.
But it can also get expensive if you are not careful. Thankfully, with a little planning and a splash of creativity, anyone can enjoy their Spring Break without "breaking the bank".
Here are five ways to save:
1. Stay in Oklahoma: Oklahoma has hundreds of interesting "points of interest" and you would be surprised to find how many are free! A great resource for Oklahoma POI's is Wimgo.com. Staying close means saving fuel!
2. Set a Budget: I cannot emphasize this enough. Plan, plan, plan. Meals out, recreation, and shows are all great. But starting with a plan and a detailed budget will stop those impulse purchases from adding up. Plan ahead. Find the shortest routes. Know what options you will have when you get hungry.
3. Book Late: Websites like Hotwire.com provide huge discounts to travelers who are willing to wait a little longer to book their hotel or flights. Sometimes you might even surprise yourself at the luxury you will be able to afford by waiting just a little longer to book your room!
4. Choose the Right Airline: Many flights charge for things like checked luggage, extra luggage etc. Do some research and find out what your options are. Southwest, for example, allows two free checked bags.
5. Park Your Car for Free: Daily or weekly parking can really add up. Ask a friend if you can leave your car parked in their driveway for the week. This can really add up!