Originally Published: Sep 9, 2010 7:6 PM CDT
I’m not much of a must-win guy. Especially this early in the season. But if OU has to make a run at having a run at a chance to play in the BCS title game they must beat No. 17 Florida State Saturday in Norman.
Coming off a five-loss season, there is simply an enormous difference between being 2-0 heading into a home game with Air Force and being 1-1. I need not say more.
Beating an athletic team that is brimming with confidence from a first-game route and a new and energized staff will not be easy. The odds makers have OU favored by seven pointsdown a point and a half from where it opened. That tells me two things. One, the majority of the public does not trust the Sooners. And two, if these two played on a neutral field, OU would only be around a four point favoritea far cry from what everyone thought before the season.
Here’s how I break this one down.
DEEFNSIVE KEYS FOR OU DE vs. FLORIDA STATE OFFENSE
1. Play sound and cut down on busts, especially in the secondary
2. Pin ears back and play with the reckless abandon Stoops wants
3. Contain and frustrate FSU QB Christian Ponder
OFFENSIVE KEYS FOR OU vs. FLORIDA STATE
1. QB Landry Jones must make good decisions and execute
2. Offensive line physical vs. smaller but faster front four
3. Produce at least 5 explosive plays of over 25 yards
1. Respond to inevitable adversity
2. Crowd support and noise to disrupt FSU at line of scrimmage
3. Win the kicking game and punt away from superstar Reid
The pressure is on Landry Jones if as many believe the team with the best QB play will win. Gut check time.