Fire Destroys Mustang Home

Thursday, June 9th 2011, 9:36 am

By: News 9

MUSTANG, Oklahoma -- A couple and their grandson were left homeless Thursday morning by a devastating fire in Mustang.

A man woke up around 4:15 a.m. when he heard a crash in his house in the 500 block of W. Forester Drive.  He thought someone had broken into his home, but when he went to investigate the noise he found a ceiling fan had fallen to the floor and was on fire.

The man rushed to get his wife and pets out of the house, and called 911.  Firefighters say there wasn't much they could do once they arrived because the fire was so intense.  They were also hampered because the house was electrically charged and they were constantly shocked when they touched doorknobs and other parts of the house. OG&E was called out to turn off the electricity.

Houses on the block are very close together, so firefighters worked to make sure the homes on either side of the fire did not burn. A firefighter actually lived in one of those homes and jumped in to help.

No one was hurt in the fire, but the house is likely a total loss.  The homeowners say they've lived in the home for more than 20 years.  They say they're glad their eight-year-old grandson was not home when the fire started, but they know he'll be upset because it's the only home he's ever known.


Get The Daily Update!

Be among the first to get breaking news, weather, and general news updates from News 9 delivered right to your inbox!

More Like This

June 9th, 2011

July 20th, 2022

August 31st, 2021

August 13th, 2021

Top Headlines

September 30th, 2022

September 30th, 2022

September 30th, 2022

September 30th, 2022