Former Girl Scout Says She Was Supposed To Be In Tent With Murdered Oklahoma Girls


Monday, June 27th 2011, 3:16 pm
By: News 9


Jennifer Pierce, News 9

OKLAHOMA CITY -- It's been 34 years since three Oklahoma Girl Scouts were tragically raped and murdered at Camp Scott. One woman says that could have been her.

Charlotte Cartmill says she was supposed to be in the same tent as the three girls. She had been looking forward to the camp for weeks. It would have been the first time for the then 8-year-old girl to be away from home for more than one night. But Cartmill's mother decided not to let her go because the little girl was sick. She says she's thankful she made that decision.

"She still had a fever, I don't remember what she had," Barbara Riggs said.

Cartmill says after she heard the news of the murders, she was shocked and sad. She did not personally know the three victims because she was in a different troop.

Related Story: 6/26/11 Tulsans Audition For Role In Upcoming Girl Scout Murder Movie

To this day, Cartmill says she gets chills thinking about what happened in 1977. As a parent of two boys, she says she can't imagine what the girls' parents have been through. She says she feels blessed knowing God spared her life.

"I don't think it really affected me until last night because it really made me grateful for whatever happened, that I was allowed to be here and have my family, have my kids, my husband and get to experience my whole life," Charlotte said.