Michael Konopasek, News 9
WARR ACRES, Oklahoma -- A large apartment fire in Warr Acres has left about 13 families without a place to call home. The fire kept crews busy throughout Wednesday afternoon and evening.
No one was hurt in the fire which burned two units of the , but one family was inside this building when the fire started. They were able to escape. Firefighters spent several hours battling the blaze and the summer heat.
Flames and smoke tore through the second floor of the Twin Lakes Apartment Complex in Warr Acres.
"A neighbor called me [when] I was at my sister's, and she said come home, your apartment is on fire," said resident Angela Harris. "Everything is gone."
Harris watched as her apartment smoldered. Eight apartment units suffered the most damage. The fire tore through the second floor as loads of water fell on the apartments below.
With a high of 105 degrees, firefighters fought not only the fire but signs of exhaustion.
"It's just hot," said one of the firefighters as he summed up his feelings. "You go in there for just a few moments and you're already hot … [but], you just keep going."
Paramedics were on hand just in case of heat-related illnesses, but we're told, there were no serious issues.
"[Drink] as much water and Gatorade as basically they can take in," advised paramedic Kenny Baker. "Staying hydrated is key."
Firefighters rotated in and out of shifts so they did not get overheated.
The Red Cross was at the scene passing out water, snacks, and keeping everyone cool.
For Harris, it is now a time to pick up the pieces and hope.
"I have a puppy," said Harris. "I'm worried about her. Hopefully, she's ok … that's all I can hope for."
The American Red Cross says it is assisting 2 families form the apartments.