Smoke Detectors Help Save OKC Couple From Fire


Wednesday, August 24th 2011, 8:39 am
By: News 9


LaShauna Sewell, News9.com

OKLAHOMA CITY -- A man and woman in northeast Oklahoma City woke early Wednesday morning to the sound of a blaring alarm from a smoke detector.

A fire started around 2:30 a.m. in the bedroom of a mobile home near E. Britton and Westminster Roads. The couple heard their smoke alarm, leaped out of bed, raced out of the house and called 911.

When firefighters arrived, they found smoke pouring from the home. They quickly put out the fire, containing it to the bedroom.

The outside of the mobile home appears undamaged, but there was smoke damage throughout the inside of the structure. The couple who live there were not hurt.

Firefighters don't know yet what started the fire.

The Oklahoma City Fire Department points out a working smoke detector may have saved the occupants' lives. If you don't have a smoke detector, call your local fire department. They may come to your home and install one for free.