Dana Hertneky, News 9
OKLAHOMA CITY-- After three days of intensive efforts battling a wildfire that scorched portions of 18 square miles, firefighters massively scaled back their presence in northeast Oklahoma City Thursday night.
"We took an aerial view of the scene here a couple hours ago. Really there was no active fire at all so we're feeling really good about the shape that the scene is in now," said Deputy Chief Keith Bryant of the Oklahoma Fire Department.
Officials said they were releasing task forces that had been brought in from other counties and only Oklahoma City firefighters would remain at the scene.
Barring any flare ups, the mobile command center will be released Friday morning.
Fire officials have also advised Oklahoma City police to allow citizens back into the fire area with proof of identification and address.
One firefighter was sent to the hospital on Thursday for dehydration. That makes six firefighters total that were injured in the fire. None of the injuries were serious.
Twenty-five homes, one church and countless outbuildings were destroyed.