Documents Reveal More In Edmond Infant's Death

Wednesday, October 12th 2011, 10:12 pm
By: News 9

Lisa Monahan, News 9

EDMOND, Oklahoma -- Confidential documents give more details in the investigation of a nine-month-old-child who died back in March. The medical examiner ruled the death a homicide and indicated Jake Hedger died from blunt force trauma to the head.

A 64-page report shows the nine month old stopped breathing at his babysitter's house and died the next day at a hospital.

The babysitter, Traci Kramer, and the parents, Leah and Zane Hedger, both explained to investigators their final moments with the child.

Leah Hedger said, "I cant even describe what was going on in my head, why was I not called?  Why was my husband not called?"

Leah Hedger defends herself and her husband from the allegations made against them. Hedger says both have cooperated with police since the initial interviews.

The documents from the initial interviews show Leah Hedger "denied Jacon fell or anyone dropped him" while in their home.

 Leah Hedger says the babysitter was a friend prior to Jake's death.  She never had concerns with Jake at daycare before.

The Hedgers say they have known the babysitter for several years.

Zane Hedger says, "There have been problems with some bigger kids" at the daycare but no one indicated during the interview that they believed that's what happened to Jake.

The documents also detail the babysitter Kramer's interview with investigators.  She told investigators she "went into the room, lifted him up and Jacob was limp, he was white not blue."

The babysitter told investigators, "she panicked and got cold water and put it on his face then sat him on the floor and called 911."

The document shows Kramer also told investigators she has no problem taking a polygraph and acknowledged her husband works for the OSBI.

Since the initial interview, Leah Hedger says no one has been arrested or charged for the death of her child.

"I don't know if its covering something up, but I sure hope not, but seven months have gone by," she said. 

The Kramers' attorney did not return our calls before this story made air. The lawyer has said he believes the injuries occurred 48 hours before Jake died and that day was his first time Jake had been at the babysitter in one week. However, the autopsy does not indicate what time the injury occurred.