Norman Family Loses Everything After Fire Destroys Home


Sunday, November 27th 2011, 6:58 pm
By: News 9


Chris McKinnon, News 9

OKLAHOMA CITY -- A family of seven is without a home after a fire destroyed almost everything they had on Sunday.

This happened at a house located in the 1800 block of Beaumont Drive in Norman . Firefighters believe a burning log rolled out of the fireplace and in a matter of minutes, the house was fully engulfed in flames.

The Zimmermans are thankful their family got out safely, but they tried coming to grips with the fact nothing is left, and Christmas might not happen this year.

"It went so fast, I just, it's real hard to just imagine it. I mean the kids were so excited about Christmas coming up and now we just don't have it," Shay Zimmerman said.

Shay and her husband stand in disbelief after their home went up in flames, destroying everything inside.

"It breaks my heart," Shay said.

Shay's husband and five kids were inside when the fire broke out. And as their mom, she wants to make everything okay for them.

"I've gotta stay strong for my kids," Shay said. "Our family is safe. The kids are safe."

The fire couldn't have come at a worse time for the Zimmermans. They've had a tough time recently. Shay does everything she can to make ends meet.

"We're strong. We've been through so much, with our oldest being sick, that we'll make it like we always have. We'll just, it's just gonna be tight," Shay said.

Now Shay's biggest concern is keeping the family in one place during the holidays.

"We're just gonna have to try to find a place before Tuesday morning. If not then we're just all going to have to split up between friends. 'Cause I mean, there are seven of us. There's no way we can all stay in one spot. Nobody has a big enough place for us," Shay said.

The Zimmermans are staying in a Norman Motel Sunday night, with the help of the Red Cross. Their next door neighbors also have smoke and water damage because of the fire and can't live in their home until the damage is cleaned up.

The Zimmermans' oldest daughter suffers from cerebral palsy. They said the fire destroyed all of the equipment that she needs to walk.