As many Oklahomans make plans to celebrate the New Year, Norman police say there will be more officers patrolling this weekend to crack down on drunk driving in the area.
Norman police say they will increase the number of officers dedicated to alcohol-related enforcement from two to five on Saturday evening, New Year's Eve.
To help improve public safety on the roads during this weekend, Norman police offer the following tips for driver:
1. Do not drink and drive, period.
2. Call 911 if you see a suspected drunk driver on the road.
3. If you intend to drink, plan ahead before consuming alcohol—intoxicated people make BAD decisions.
4. Use a designated, sober driver.
5. Don't let Norman PD become your designated driver.
6. Call a cab.
7. Always wear your seatbelt.
8. Don't welcome the New Year in jail.
Authorities said they will have zero tolerance for anyone found driving under the influence.
According to statistics from the National Highway Safety Administration, the chances of a motorist being killed in a drunk driving accident will double this weekend.