Space Heater May Be To Blame For NW OKC House Fire

Tuesday, January 3rd 2012, 7:16 pm
By: News 9

A fire destroyed a house in northwest Oklahoma City early Tuesday morning while the family is gone on vacation. 

According to the fire department, the fire broke out shortly before 2 a.m. Tuesday, in Braden Park near Northwest 122nd Street and Rockwell Avenue.

Neighbors behind the home said their dogs woke them up. They looked out the window, saw heavy flames and called 911. There was little fire crews could do to save the home by the time they arrived.

"Our crews did an excellent job for the amount of fire we had. When we got there, the entire rear of the structure, from the ground into the attic, was well involved. We had fire all the way through the attic, throughout the house and we had to go to defensive operations," said Chief Steve Lumry with the Oklahoma City Fire Department.

Investigators think a space heater may have started the fire.