Vigil Service Seeks To Keep Cordell Strong Following Tragedy

Sunday, January 15th 2012, 11:51 pm
By: News 9

More than 200 people from the small community came together just a few days after 12-year old Lane Madison died, following a physical altercation at the First Baptist Church in Cordell.

"We want to lift up the families and that certainly was our objective today," said Pastor Roy Dewees. "As we go forth from this point is to lift up and edify these two families so that they can heal the way that they need to."

The crowd of family, friends and community members packed into the Cordell Activity Center as a unified group behind two families touched by tragedy. The 12-year old died on Wednesday following the fight with a 13-year old boy. He apparently hit his head on the basement floor at some point. An official cause of death had not been released by the Medical Examiner's office Sunday.

Sunday, the gathering was meant to be a show of support. Pastor Dewees said the size of the crowd itself showed how much of an impact this incident had on the small town.

"Of course we focus on the tragic loss, but that anyone involved with that incident is going to be heartbroken and have a lot of pain and questions," he said.

Those questions could have divided the community in this time of pain, but Dewees said he and others did not want to let that happen.

"Certainly anytime something happens in a community this size, there's going to be a lot of hurt and something that can separate a community and we don't want that to happen," explained Dewees. "We want our community to be strong."

Pastor Dewees said Sunday's service was an important first step towards healing his deeply impacted community.

"I have no doubt there will be a lot of hurt for a long time and that there will be some folks who need some extra prayer and some help and certainly we're here to help in any way we can," he said.

He explained Monday afternoon will be a time to celebrate the life of Lane Madison at his memorial service. It will be held at 4 p.m. inside the auditorium of Cordell High School.

No arrests have been made and no charges have been filed yet in this case.