Police Investigate 10-Month-Old OKC Baby's Death As Homicide

Tuesday, February 7th 2012, 8:51 pm
By: News 9

A 10-month-old baby girl was rushed to the hospital after her mother said she stopped breathing. The baby died and now police are calling the little girl's death a homicide.

2/7/2012 Related Story: Baby's Death In OKC Leads To Police Investigation

According to the police report, that baby girl was rushed to children's hospital, after several people tried to perform CPR on her. And police say once she arrived, doctors and nurses discovered the girl was suffering from severe head trauma and numerous broken ribs that appeared to be the result of abuse.

There is no mention of any death, or even words of sorrow, on the Facebook page little Lyrik Martin's mother created in her honor. Only pictures of a precious little girl whose life was cut tragically short.

Police and paramedics rushed to this apartment complex in the 4500 block of Woodward Avenue on Friday night after getting a call that this baby girl was "pale and not breathing."

According to the police report, the mother stated Lyrik had been sick, and throwing up for a couple of days. It states she and the baby's father took her to Southwest Medical Center around 11 o'clock that day, and that they diagnosed her with an ear infection and sent them home with medicine.

The report goes on to say the mother laid Lyrik down for a nap around 9 p.m., and that's when she went to check on her after 11, Lyrik wasn't breathing.

That's when she called 911 and began CPR.

"When officers arrived, paramedics were already on the scene attending to the child," said Brandon Clabes with the Oklahoma City Police Department.

The report states both the baby's father and a neighbor also helped with CPR, but to no avail.

And when little Lyrik arrived at the hospital, she had bleeding behind the retina, and skull fractures.

"Sadly the child succumbed to her injuries yesterday, investigators were notified that she died as a result of those injuries the case is clearly a homicide case," Clabes said.

But even though police are calling this case a homicide, police have not made any arrests as of yet.

We contacted DHS to see if this baby girl was ever in their care. They tell us until someone is charged in her death, they cannot release that information.